Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Table Arrangements

I wanted everything in our wedding to be about us. I got lots of gruff from family members for some of our decisions but I stood strong and eventually everyone gave in. And at times it really sucked, but when you believe in something, I think it is even more important to do it. Now this came up on many issues so this won't be the first time I mention it.
Table arrangements was one of these instances.
We got married in the backyard of a 1890's farm house out in the countryside of Oregon. There was plenty of beautiful flowers and trees on the property. I did not want to decorate that much and over do things. But I did want something for the tables. This lovely lemon arrangement went on the food table. Simply made with lemons skewered together, add some flowers and and place on a silver tray.
We wanted as much of our wedding to be handmade, done by ourselves or by friends, and nothing cliche or cheesy. I really wanted to do something with old jars because the woman who lives on the farm has a canning house and she told me that the property used to have lots of fruit and vegetables that her and her family would can throughout the year. Plus my husband will drink out of a jar over a glass any day. So I came up with these:


I bought $1 pizza pans at the Dollar Tree, hot glued one jar in the center and four around it. Mostly mason jars but some others we had (pickle jars were great for variety). And I collected moss from our families backyards or a little here and there when we went on hikes. Then I hot glued the moss to the pans (most types of moss stay green even when dry). I covered the bottom of the jar with rice and added a little water because the jars get hot with the lit candle inside. I then placed a big candle in the center jar and smaller candles in the outer jars. One of these went on each of our twelve tables. It was wonderful! The jar/candle lit backyard was more beautiful than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment